Background

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Seasonally Challenged

There's a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes. - Emily Dickinson


I read in the Canberra Times a short while ago, that indicated that we are halfway thru the winter. Being new to Australia, I find myself at a bit confused by the seasons. Back home in Utah it is, in the 100's, gardens are blooming, and everyone is wearing the light weight clothing. It makes me a bit sad to look outside and see the dull, cold, wet, and gray day. I found that I needed to surround myself with the items that made me feel warm and cozy back in Utah, Denmark and Russia. The first thing I pulled out was a December issue of a Victoria Magazine and enjoyed the view of the following pictures.



My next action was to put one of my favorite movies on the television. It is based on a Thomas Hardy novel called, "Under the Greenwood Tree". It stars Keeley Haws, of "Wives and Daughters" movie fame. She plays a teacher will many romantic possibilities in a small English village. Throughout the movie, a greenwood tree is shown in different parts of nature's seasons. Unlike most Thomas Hardy novels, this story has a happy ending. It is a movie which will make you sigh. Now I must adorn myself to finish off the feel of winter in August. Here is my red mod style coat that I love probably a little too much.


Dark jewelry made with marcasite is something I collect.
I love the holiday packaging of cosmetics, there is my Chanel smoky eye compact and the nail polish is Rouge Noir. I must be channeling the 1920's with these colors.






































No comments:

Post a Comment